We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > Drama and Theatre home > Prospective postgraduates > Scholarships and Other Funding
More in this section Prospective postgraduates

Scholarships and Other Funding

AHRC and College Studentships

Find out more about the TECHNE Open Evening in November 2017 here.

The Department of Drama, Theatre and Dance at Royal Holloway is one of the major research departments in the UK. We have a large cohort of research students who create a vibrant academic community and take a leading role in the research culture of the Department - managing and editing the in-house, peer-reviewed journal Platform, organising conferences and events, and collaborating in the activities of our two research centres (in Asian Theatre and Dance, and Contemporary British Theatre).

We have a large number of academic staff who offer possibly the broadest perspective of any drama department in the country, providing courses and supervision on a varied geographical and historical range of theatre practices and disciplines. We also have some very specific strengths – for example, in world dance and performance training; contemporary British and European theatre; playwriting and theatre criticism; theatres of protest, demonstration and dissent; transnational theatre and performance; migration, indigeneity, and postcolonial politics; heritage, museums and theatre historiography; early modern theatre; socially engaged and participatory arts; and practice-as-research. The Department values its collaborations with several major national and international arts and cultural institutions including the National Theatre (London), the Barbican, Tate Modern, and the Shanghai Theatre Academy. Our three main performance spaces include the Noh Theatre, at which we run an annual Noh Training Summer School, and the Caryl Churchill Theatre, which opened in 2013.

The Department is pleased to offer a number of awards and studentships to applicants who are accepted for the MPhil/PhD degree to commence in 2018. Those intending to study for a PhD in the Department are able to apply for Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) studentships and for College studentships through a single process.

The AHRC studentships (stipend and fee waiver) are offered through the TECHNE Doctoral Training Partnership. TECHNE is led by Royal Holloway. The other member institutions are: Brighton, Kingston, Roehampton, University of the Arts London, Royal College of Art, and Surrey. Approximately 176 Doctoral Scholarships will be awarded by TECHNE over a five-year period, approximately 35 per year. TECHNE’s vision is to produce highly-motivated scholars prepared for careers inside and outside of academia; TECHNE has promised to develop cross-member supervision and therefore welcomes and encourages cross institutional and/or cross discipline supervisory teams. The training programme is enhanced by engagement with TECHNE’s 14 partner organisations in the cultural sector (including the Barbican, Natural History Museum, Museum of London, BFI and Science Museum). Students who are unsuccessful in their application for a TECHNE scholarship will be prioritised for the award of College scholarships (which may consist of a stipend and/or fee waiver).

How to apply

Prospective doctoral applicants who are interested in applying for a studentship should proceed as follows:

Contact Dr Chris Megson, Director of Graduate Studies, at the earliest opportunity to talk informally about your proposed research project. If appropriate supervision is available, you will be connected with the relevant member(s) of staff in order to discuss your proposal in detail.

If the Director of Graduate Studies and supervisors agree that the proposal may be suitable for a TECHNE or College studentship, you will need to complete to complete a TECHNE application form and Equal Opportunities form, as well as the Royal Holloway application form.

Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications is Monday 8 January 2018.

Your application is first considered by internal panels of subject experts at Royal Holloway. You should hear in March whether the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences will forward your application for consideration by TECHNE. If your application does go forward you will hear in April whether or not it has been successful.  Unsuccessful applicants from both stages will be considered automatically for College scholarships by a Faculty Panel and you should hear the outcome in early May.

Further details of the assessment process can be found here.

Further enquiries to the Department

For details of core areas of research within the Department of Drama, Theatre and Dance, click here.

For details of the research expertise of academic staff in the Department, please see our staff directory.

If you have any questions about the applicatin process, please contact our postgraduate administrator, Ally Williams.

Other sources of funding

In addition to the AHRC TECHNE scheme, students can access funding from a number of other sources. Information about the other types of funding available, including sources of funding for international students, can be found on the College webpage sources of funding.

Home/EU students who wish to be considered for a College Scholarship must apply through the TECHNE scheme in the first instance.

The College may consider a fee-waiver arrangement for students who have secured funding from an overseas government or similar national organisation.  Please contact the Postgraduate Administrator (ally.williams@rhul.ac.uk) if you could like to be considered for this arrangement.

Applicants for Postgraduate Taught programmes may be eligible to apply for a College Scholarship or Bursary.

Students undertaking an MA programme may be eligible for a Postgraduate Student Loan.  Information can be found on the Fees and Funding page.  Please note that students taking the Postgraduate Certificate, or those who are "topping up" the Postgraduate Certficiate with an MA year, are not eligible for these loans.

For full details of the funding that is available, please visit the Scholarships page.

Information on scholarships available for international students can be found on the International Scholarships page.

Information on tuition fees for postgraduate research students can be found on the research students Tuition fees page.

Information on tuition fees for postgraduate taught students can be found on the taught students Tuition fees page.


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback