Prizes and Awards
We are very proud of all the prizes and awards won by our students and our staff, and by the Department:
- In 2013, we received an Athena SWAN Bronze Award in recognition of our commitment to increasing the participation of women in Computer Science at all levels, from undergraduate students to the highest academic roles.
- The 2014 BCS Accreditation Visit Panel identified our teaching of Software Engineering as an area of best practice.
- Awarded 'Department of the Year' by the Student Union for having the most engaging and outstanding student representatives in the academic year 2014/15.
- Awarded 'Outstanding Department' by the Disability & Dyslexia Services for playing a pivotal role in improving accessibility to disabled and dyslexic students.
We award prizes and give out commendation letters to our best students:
- 2013/14 Student Rep Gold Award: Carmen Cosovan
- 2014/15 Crest Award: Filippo Di Paola
- 2014/15 Freshman of the Year Award: Remi Jahau
- Special Recognition for Community Action 2015: Feargus Pendlebury
- GCHQ Special Merit Award 2014: Angus Goldsmith
- First Prize, Game Jam organised by Microsoft and the University of Hull in 2015: Jon Mortiboy
- 2015/16 Freshman of the Year Award: Omoyeme Akhigbe
- 2017 WCIT Outstanding Information Technology Student Award: Filippo Di Paola
Our student Computing Society has also won multiple awards:
- 2014/15 Society of the Year Award
- 2014/15 Skills and Employability Cup
- Community Action's volunteering group of the year 2015, Runnymede Volunteer Awards
- Professor Dave Cohen, Dr Johannes Kinder and Dr Carlos Matos were awarded a College Team Teaching Prize in 2015
- Mr Nuno Barreiro and Dr Carlos Matos received a College Teaching Initiative Award in 2014
- Professor Dave Cohen received a College Teaching Fellowship Award in 2014
- Professor Gregory Gutin received a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award (2014-19)
- Professor Dave Cohen was awarded one of the 2012/13 Teaching Excellence Prize and was shortlisted for the Times Higher Most Innovative Teacher Award
- Dr Matthew Hague was awarded a five-year EPSRC Fellowship (2013-2018)
- Dr Robin Adams won 2011/12 Apple for the Teacher award
- Professor Vladimir Vapnik was awarded the 2012 Benjamin Franklin medal in Computer and Cognitive Science from the Franklin Institute