Help for students using Computer Science equipment
Getting Help from the Support Team
Computer Science has its own dedicated IT staff to support departmental computer facilities. We cannot help with coursework questions (make an appointment to see the course lecturer or go to the appropriate lab session), or with issues relating to central services such as e-mail (open a call with IT Services), but we are here to help you with Unix and general departmental system problems.
Using the Help Desk
You can log a call with us at cimhelpdesk.rhul.ac.uk/ or by sending us an e-mail. Please do not send help requests to individual members of the Support team, this will only cause delay.
You can help us respond quickly by spending a few moments thinking about what to put in the message:
- Always use a descriptive Subject (messages without subjects or with vague subjects like "problem" may go straight to the bottom of the queue!)
- If the problem is repeatable tell us how to reproduce it.
- Always include the full text of any error messages (use left and middle mouse buttons to cut and paste) or attach a screenshot.
- If the problem is an intermittent one tell us when it happened.
- If the problem is related to a graphical program tell us which terminal you were using.
To solve your problem we may need access to your files. We will assume you don't mind us using superuser privilege to read documents you mention in your message and configuration files related to any software you mention.
Getting Help in Person
We ask that students please not disturb us in our offices unless the problem is extremely urgent, or you have been specifically directed to us by another member of staff. The vast majority of issues can be resolved via our helpdesk system, and once a ticket is open we can invite you to visit if a one-to-one meeting is warranted.
Current Support team
- Narinder Sehra (IT Manager) - McCrea 355a
- Adrian Thomas - McCrea 357
- Francesco Fildani - McCrea 357