Posted on 01/06/2012
The Queen opens the new College, 1986
Highlighting our royal connections ahead of this month’s Jubilee celebrations, June’s item of the month comes from the opening of Royal Holloway and Bedford New College (or Royal Holloway, University of London as we are now known on a day to day basis). The new college was formed by a merger of Bedford College, which was founded in 1849 in central London, and Royal Holloway College, which was opened in 1886 by Queen Victoria, our current Queen’s great great grandmother. It was Queen Victoria who allowed the College to use ‘Royal’ in its name.
One hundred years after the opening of Royal Holloway College, on 16 May 1986, Queen Elizabeth II opened the newly merged College. This photograph is from that day and shows the Queen walking across the South Quad with Dorothy Wedderburn at her side. Dorothy Wedderburn was the last Principal of Bedford College and the first Principal of Royal Holloway and Bedford New College and has a halls of residence named in her honour.
The archives are involved in a project run by HistoryPin, a website which allows users to pin historic photographs to Google maps to create a historic picture of their local area or the wider world. The website has one main map comprising all the pinned photographs around the world but they have created a special map to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee which shows photographs of the Queen throughout her reign. To see the map for yourself (and maybe add your own photographs) follow this link: http://www.historypin.com/DiamondJubilee/ It even includes a photograph pinned by Prince William! Zoom in on Egham to see another photograph of the Queen at the opening of the College.
Annabel Gill, College Archivist