We use cookies on this site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Close this message Find out more

Home > College archives > Frequently asked questions
More in this section College archives

Frequently asked questions

Where can I access the archives service?

We are located on the third floor of the South Tower of the Founder’s Building – enter through Founder’s Library. Advice for visiting as a researcher can be found on the Using the Archives page. Please call or email ahead if you would like to speak to the Archivist, to ensure there will be somebody in.

Can I have copies of documents?

Copies of documents can be ordered through us for a fee, but only if they are not too fragile, bound volumes, or too large for our photocopier or scanner. If you let us know in advance you may take photographs on your own digital camera of documents which we cannot copy for you (i.e. if they are bound volumes or above A3 size for photocopying, or A4 for digital scanning). Copies must always be cited with their reference numbers and acknowledgement made to RHUL Archives The archive service reserves the right not to allow copying.

I can’t visit the archives. How can I find out what I need to know from your records?

We can do a limited amount of research (c.30 minutes) for free for you; then you can pay us to continue researching or send you copies, or you can hire a freelance research to do research for you. The National Archives has a list of freelance researchers, who you can pay to do work for you.

How can I get a copy of my degree certificate?

Please see the pages for Certifying letters for past students of the College. These are not available from the Archives.

Can I have a transcript or a reference?

Please see the page for Certifying letters for past students of the College. These are not available from the Archives.

I’m having trouble searching the catalogue

Please read the tips on searching the catalogue. If you are still unable to find anything, please contact us and we will try to resolve the problem.

I have some documents I’d like to donate to you

Please contact us to discuss whether the records are suitable for donation. Due to pressure on space, we cannot accept duplicates or publications etc that we already have or anything not closely related to the history of the College or collecting areas. We do not have a budget for purchasing records.

I’m interested in finding our more about Thomas Holloway’s Sanatorium, Englefield Green and Egham. Can you help?

The College Archives have some records relating to Surrey but you are advised to contact Surrey History Centre who hold the County archives:

Surrey History Centre,
130 Goldsworth Road,
Surrey GU21 6ND
Tel: 01483 518737
Fax: 01483 518738
Email: shs@surreycc.gov.uk

I have some old student records which need scanning

Please email archives@rhul.ac.uk with details.

I’d like to arrange a workshop for students – can you help?

Please contact us as much in advance as possible to discuss what the archives service can help with.

I’d like to use some of your images in my exhibition / publication

Please contact us to discuss your requirements. All images used must be cited correctly and acknowledged as being College Archives.

Contact us

Archivist: Harriet Costelloe

College Archives and Special Collections
Davison Building
Royal Holloway, University of London
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX


Tel: +44 (0)1784 443814 (internal x3814)
Email: archives@royalholloway.ac.uk


Open by appointment only between the hours of 9.30-1 and 2-4.30 on Wednesday-Friday


Comment on this page

Did you find the information you were looking for? Is there a broken link or content that needs updating? Let us know so we can improve the page.

Note: If you need further information or have a question that cannot be satisfied by this page, please call our switchboard on +44 (0)1784 434455.

This window will close when you submit your comment.

Add Your Feedback