HM Queen Dowager Mary attended the centenary celebrations at Bedford College: a three-day festival.
The centenary of the establishment coincided with a major reconstruction project following the devastation caused by bombing during the Second World War.
HRH Princess Alice presided at the reconstruction celebrations at Bedford College on 28 October and toured the new buildings.
HM The Queen Mother unveiled a plaque dedicated to Queen Mary, whom she succeeded as Patron of Bedford College in 1953, the year following the death of her husband King George VI.
The Queen Mother maintained this position until the College’s merger with Royal Holloway in 1985. She then became Patron of the newly-merged Royal Holloway and Bedford New College until her death in 2002.
The Queen Mother also served as Chancellor of the University of London from 1955-81.
HRH Princess Alice opened the Powell Memorial Gates at Royal Holloway.
The wrought iron entrance gates in the north quad are a memorial to Miss Isabel Powell’s (lecturer in History 1922-55) devotion to the College.
Pictured right is Sir John Cameron, Chairman of the Council from 1958-67.
The Royal Holloway Archives and Special Collections records relating to the histories of Royal Holloway College, Bedford College, Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, as well as personal papers of former staff and students.
Find out more