1921 and 1922
HRH Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, attended summer garden parties at Bedford College. The funds raised by these events went towards the Extension and Endowment Appeal.
The Principal, Miss Tuke (right), steered this activity for years and the new building was named after her.
HRH Princess Mary, The Princess Royal, laid the foundation stone of the Tuke Building for Bedford College.
The ceremony to launch the new building was broadcast among a spirit of brighter prospects for women following the aftermath of the Great War.
HM Queen Mary opened the Tuke Building, toured the whole construction and met the Heads of seven newly-accommodated departments.
The Royal Holloway Archives and Special Collections records relating to the histories of Royal Holloway College, Bedford College, Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, as well as personal papers of former staff and students.
Find out more