World university rankings
Royal Holloway was ranked 197th in the 2017/18 Times Higher Education World University Rankings (THE) published in September 2017, and ranked 31st overall in the UK.
Royal Holloway is ranked 11th in the UK in the category of 'International Outlook', recognising our broader outlook as a global university. The rankings use three separate indicators to judge this category - proportion of international staff and students and research in terms of papers that are co-authored with at least one international partner.
UK media rankings
We are consistently ranked in the top tier of UK universities in rankings published by the British media.
Royal Holloway league rankings
| League table
|The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
|The Complete University Guide 2018
|The Guardian University Guide 2018
- Our Music department ranked sixth in the Times Good University Guide 2017 and fifth in the Complete University Guide 2018 (top 6%).
- Our Department of Physics ranked fifth in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2018
- Marketing (School of Management) ranked 15th in the Complete University Guide 2018.
- Psychology ranked 23rd in the Complete University Guide 2018 and 22nd in Times Good University Guide 2017 (top 19%).
- English ranked 26th in the Times Good University Guide 2017.
- Creative Writing was ranked ninth in the Complete University Guide 2018 and tenth in the Times Good University Guide 2017.
- Media Arts ranked 19th in the Complete University Guide 2018, placing it in the top 20% in the UK.
- Geography ranked 12th in the Times Good University Guide 2017 and 14th in the Complete University Guide 2018, placing it in the top 20% in the UK.
- Drama ranked 20th in the Complete University Guide 2018.
- Earth Sciences ranked 12th in the Times Good University Guide 2017 and 12th in the Complete University Guide 2018.
- Computer Science ranked 26th in the Complete University Guide 2018, placing it in the top 25% in the UK.
- Accounting is ranked joint first in the world by BYU Accounting Rankings 2016.
National Student Survey (NSS)
Royal Holloway students have given us a big vote of confidence in each successive National Student Survey, conducted independently with final year students. National rankings have placed Royal Holloway among the top group of universities for students’ overall satisfaction with the quality of their academic experience.
Overall student satisfaction across the university has been highly rated every year. Our overall satisfaction rating in the most recent survey was 88% (2017), making us the top university among the University of London institutions and larger London-based universities for overall student satisfaction.
The Department of Mathematics scored the highest overall satisfaction this year, with an impressive 98%, up eight per cent on last year, ranking them fourth overall in the UK.
Other notable scores include:
- Physics saw student satisfaction soar to 95%, with an eight point increase on 2016.
- Student satisfaction with Earth Sciences rose to 97%, again improving on last year, and ranking them third in the UK.
- History also performed highly, with student satisfaction up three points to 95%, making them 16th in the UK.
- Geography scored 95% overall satisfaction, placing them eighth in the country.
- Classics (third with 95%), Economics (17th with 90%), Biological Sciences (15th with 93%) and Computer Science (19th with 88%) were all ranked in the top 20 for overall satisfaction in their subject.
The survey aims to help prospective students make informed choices about where to apply to study by comparing results on the official Unistats website.