- Applied research – the application of practical knowledge to practical and pressing problems
- Consultancy – our consultancy is strongly informed by the latest scholarship. Our approach is very much partnership based, working with clients to better understand their sustainability challenges and identify solutions.
- Evaluating organizational responses to sustainability – sustainability awareness is of little help without understanding the impact of sustainability initiatives
- Policy analysis – we can contribute to evaluating and developing effective policy encouraging and enabling sustainability
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Through the Prince of Wales’ Accounting for Sustainability Project, a team of CRIS members worked with the third largest UK multiple food retailer, Sainsbury’s, to better understand their initiative to embed sustainability in the supply chain. The specific focus was the lamb supply chain – for which Sainsbury’s have a large market share. We spoke to a range of managers at the retailers, from the Chief Executive, Justin King to those more closely related in day-to-day decisions about the business. We also met suppliers, observed meetings and discussed the issues with key interest groups such as the National Farmers Union. From this work we developed a case study on embedding sustainability in decision-making which we were able to feed back to Sainsbury’s and which is published in the Accounting for Sustainability book (details below). Our partnership continues with Sainsbury’s via a welcome contribution to our teaching programmes by the Environment Projects Manager and continued research for academic publication.
Spence, L. J. and Rinaldi, L. (2010) ‘Sainsbury's: Embedding Sustainability in the Supermarket Supply Chain’ in Anthony Hopwood, Jeffrey Unerman and Jessica Fries (eds.) Accounting for Sustainability. Practical Insights. With a Foreword by HRH The Prince of Wales. Earthscan Publishing, London, 47-71.
Details from : http://www.accountingforsustainability.org/output/Page183.asp (20% discount available)